Saturday, January 1, 2011

Searey LSX

Kerry Richter flew the new Searey LSX over to my facility two weeks ago and gave me the oppurtunity to get a check out in the airplane. I had been told what an awesome flyer it was and I just had to experience it myself! I MUST say.... that I was pleasantly surprised! Every report that I had heard was true!
 The flight started with taxing into the water, with Kerry telling me to set the elevator trim and flaps, pushing the throttle forward, like you would in any other airplane. The difference this time was he told me not to touch the stick. Trusting Kerry, as I have for the past 30 years I've known him, I did exactly what he said. I pushed the throttle on the 914 forward and with arms crossed...watched the airplane accelerate, climb onto the step, lift off in 400ft and establish a very comfortable climb at 55 miles per hr.
I was looking around the panel for a button to disengage the autopilot and there was none!!
The next thing we did was Kerry told me to just pull the stick back in my lap and hold it there. the nose pitched up, dropped slightly and then started flying again. After many of these, while still amazed, I wanted to try something else. We may lost 50 feet of altittude. I did log 10 stalls though!
Next, I wanted to see how it handled in a simulated accelereted stall. At 2000 ft AGL it was full power, roll into a 60 degree bank and pull the stick back into my lap as far as I could. I was expecting to use my spin training at this point. As I held the stick in my lap, the sirplane would buffet, the nose would drop ever so slightly through the horizon and start flying again. I could not get it to show any signs of even an eminant spin .
Now it was time to shoot some landings. Landings are very simple in the LSX. Prelanding checklist ensuring the landing gear is up for water landing, fuel pump on, 20 degree flaps and trim set. You reduce the power to idle, set up a 50 mph approach and just land.
I msut say that I am throughly impressed with the performance of the LSX!  I hope sometime in the near future that I can order a kit and build one for myself! In the meantime, I'll continue to enjoy and splash around in my classic Searey. Nothing like a classic Searey!
If you are interested in an LSX , Please call me. I can assist you with information about the LSX and in ordering a kit.

No comments: