Saturday, January 1, 2011

OSHKOSH HERE WE COME!

We took off in Gary's RV9 Friday morning to fly to Oshkosh. I have my camera in hand, so look for upcoming photo's!
For those of you that couldn't make it this year, I'll post my review of fun and planes when I get back!
Well....I am back after having a wonderful time despite the weather! That's where good friends come in handy!
It's been a busy couple of weeks since I got back from Oshkosh, but I need to tell you about the trip.
Our flight in the RV9A was great but the weather was forcast to be heavy rain by mid-morning the day we left, so we were pre-flighted and ready to go by 6:30 am. At that time of morning, the weather was great in Florida.
We arrived at Jim's private strip hours later after a slight deviation to the Pontiac, ILL. airport because of weather.
We had flown within 45 nm of Jim's place. We finally made it to Jim's place at 7:45 pm est. Jim has the dubious distinction of having the longest grass strip in Illinois of 4000 ft!
After 2 days of visiting, checking the weather and alot of hangar flying, we were not able to get a break in the weather and decided to make the 4 hour DRIVE by car to Oshkosh. 
We made it to Oshkosh On Sunday, the day before the fly-in started. The airport was closed to all arrivals for 2 days because of the terrential rains in the previous days that flooded all the tie down areas.
 I went directly to the Seaplane base to discover that there were only 2 Searey's there. One was the factory LSX and the other was Dave Evans, a customer and friend of mine. I was happy to see his plane there since I had done the work on it previously 3 weeks eariler just so he could fly to Oshkosh, get MARRIED, and fly off in the sunset with his new bride! I'm happy to see he pulled it all off and I wish him the best of the best for his future with he and his new wife!
There turned out to be all differnet kinds of Seaplanes there at the base. You can actually own a Kodiak on amphibious floats for a mere 1.5 million dollars! It's a wonderful  experimental airplane if it fits your budget!
The next 3 days were spent talking to everyone and anybody, and they all wanted to talk airplanes including me of course! I also found alot of potentail Searey buyers to add to our community! That's always my goal and glory! I can hardly call it "work", it's too much fun!
I had to leave for business too early on Wednesday and fly commercial air back home.  

No comments: