Monday, January 25, 2010

I attended the annual LSA/sports pilot show in Sebring, Florida on January 21st. As usual my main objective was to compare the different amphibians on display. You can call me biased, but after careful inspection of all the different designs on display, I kept migrating back to the SEAREY!
The Searey LSX is, in my opinion, hands down far superior to any other amphibian displayed at the show.
Progressive Aerodyne has made a lot of improvements to the standard Searey that has evolved to the LSX. One improvement that I have noticed, in my opinion, has really enhanced the water handling and flying characteristics if the Searey, is in the tail. They've redesigned it to make it larger and added dyhedral to it. It gives you more elevator authority on takeoff, landing and better stall characteristics. They've also improved the elevator trim system.
Other improvements to the wing and fuselage structure were made that improve an already great airplane but I think the tail is the big one. Hopefully in the near future these mods will be available for the current Searey.

No comments: