Thursday, July 11, 2013

Searey and Amphibious Airplane Guru



Welcome to the Kennedy Aircraft Service & Repair site! If you are visiting our site, it's because you are also into airplanes as much as I am!
Below is a list of services I can provide for you:

If you have a plane, amphibious, or not, I can repair it, advise you and direct you to other's that can help you in the industry. If you love airplanes, seaplanes, have one, or want one....I also know who is selling or who wants to buy one OR I may just have the plane you're looking for in my hanger!
I am an expert aircraft technician, specializing in Searey's and amphibious planes. I know them inside and out and then some!
I inspect, repair, rebuild, and build them. If I can't help you, I know the best in the industry and will refer you!

I have been involved in planes the majority of my life, so I am the person to call with your concerns or just "plane" interested in planes!!! You can read on about my history below, or you can skip below to my TID BIT'S....bits of advice and mechanical problems solved, hopefully designed to help you.






I'll continue to add to the TID BITS on a regular basis, so please check back often. Also included in this blog, will be airplanes that I currently have for sale, along with other hanger "stuff" that I have available. Be sure to click on the "Pages" in the top right corner of my blog for planes I have for sale specs and more info!





The purpose of the blog is to introduce myself, tell you about my history with airplanes and hopefully assist you with your airplane needs and to just share our passion together!



Feel free to call me at any time to talk planes!! ....at 352-255-1400......... And, please check out my planes for sale at the bottom of this page. Also, go to the additional link at the right top of this page for all Specs...



Here's a little blog about planes and one man's passion!

My passion is ALSO my BUSINESS! Who else would you trust with your plane repairs, but a mechanic with the experience, passion and knowledge as I have.............read on......

I've been a FAA licensed Airframe and Powerplant technician since 1979. I walk, talk , eat and breath airplanes! My love for airplanes started about at the age of 6 years old and I think my life has revolved around them ever since! If you like to talk airplanes, or just need some good advice, I'm the man for you!

My career started as an apprentice mechanic in 1975 after serving in the United States Airforce as a jet engine mechanic. During my apprenticeship I worked at an FBO in Orlando Florida. The FBO was a Beechcraft Service Center and I maintained every aircraft that Beechcraft manufactured. While working at the Center, I spent most of my free time pursuing my Flying ratings. In 1980, I obtained my commercial instrument and multi-engine ratings! I also obtained my seaplane rating in a Lake Amphibian!
THAT IS WHERE MY ACTUAL LOVE RELATIONSHIP FOR SEAPLANES BEGAN!!So.............lets talk planes and water!

I wasn't able to afford the initial cost of a certified amphibian, so I started looking at experimental amphibians. SO.......In 1982 I built and flew a BUCCANEER XA single place amphibian, which was powered by a Rotax 447 engine. After flying that one for about 2 years, I purchased a Buccaneer II kit and maintained and flew it for 4 more years. When I sold that plane, I rebuilt another Buccaneer from a wrecked aircraft and flew it until 1993. ( WOW, my love for planes can be expensive, thank goodness I know a good mechanic!)

A new company opened up that year ( okay Kerry, Wayne and Paige )here is a good plug for you!) called Progressive Aerodyne and they designed the SEAREY. I JUST HAD TO HAVE ONE!

So...............I purchased Serial # 2 in 1993! I don't think I slept very much at all for the 2 months it took me to build that airplane! That plane project took the place of anything else in my life, including women, sleep and sometimes food!! My first flight was April 5, 1993!!!

(The Searey appearance is very impressive. The wings are sweep back at the leading edge with a straight trailing edge to form a tapered wing. The engine is mounted on top of the wing. The cabin is designed with side by side seating. The dual flight controls enable flying from either seat. The Searey offers stable handling even in gusty wind conditions. You raise the landing gear for water operations. You prepare for ground landing by lowering the landing gear and locking it into place.) For more on the Rotax engine...read below in Ollie's TID BIT'S..
Over the years since then, I have become to be known as the "SEAREY GURU". I now have my own Airplane Repair business, KENNEDY AIRCRAFT SERVICE & REPAIR, LLC located in Clermont, FL, on a lake of course....( you fly in, land and taxi up to my hanger)

I specialize in condition inspections ( everyone must have one every year) and major and minor repairs on experimental aircraft. For service information e-mail me at :
seareyman53@aol.com.

Recently I started assisting other Amphibious experimental airplane fanatic's in selling or buying airplanes. If you ever call me, be ready to talk planes and get a lot of free mechanical advice!!!
Please call me or e-mail if you would like to purchase a plane, have one built or if you have one you would like to sell. Also, always check the bottom of my blog for any Searey's or other aircraft I currently have for sale.
Photo's of our Hanger and lake are on the right. You can land your plane on the lake and taxi up to our hanger. The lake is 2261 acres, on a chain of 7 lakes. It is a beautiful place to live and when you go through the canals to each lake, it is JUST LIKE OLD FLORIDA!, gators, snakes and all!! The scenery is absolutely gorgeous!!

The hanger actually can fit 3 planes in it , 5 without the wings on and one more on the ramp.I've been known to put a few on the grass, but I now in the process of extending the ramp ( since the drought has brought the water level down), it's a great time to add to our airplane area!!




Here are some quotes from satisfied, loyal customers: "Ollie has been a tremendous resource in my search, purchase, and flying of my Searey, I am very grateful for all his help. Thanks , Tim" "Thanks for taking care of the plane, its nice to know its in good hands. " Tim



Tim's wife also sent a wonderful e-mail of Tim and his fun, SAFE plane!" Tim got his plane home this weekend. Thought you'd all enjoy seeing the pictures. All three kids are going up with him, Mom is staying grounded. The kids are so excited and Tim has been very safe (or I wouldn't send them up!). They all want to be pilots now. It is a wonderful thing to see the kids and Tim enjoying something so much together. They are making wonderful memories together. I watch from the shoreline but am very proud of them all. I do make Tim check in at every lake. Yesterday he flew to pick Ivy up at a friends house who lives on a nearby lake...she was jumping up and down so proud of her daddy and his toy (it's not a toy she said, it is a plane!). Anyway, hope you enjoy the pictures. Much love to you all,"Kristi


Here are photo's of the happy new Searey family!


http://web.mac.com/kristiovertonjohnson/iWeb/Site/plane.html
I also have an excellent Searey Flight Instructor that I can recommend to you. I have great faith and confidence in him and his skills. Call me and I'll give you his information to contact him!





OKAY, MY SEAREY AND FELLOW AIRPLANE OWNERS, HERE ARE SOME BITS OF ADVICE! LOOK FOR MY "TID BIT'S" on a regular BASIS, SO BE SURE TO COME BACK OFTEN!

OLLIE'S TID BITS # 1 ( look for many more BITS of advice!) "just off the top of my head!"
(As always, consult an expert A&P before utilizing these "TID BITS". They are for educational purposes only.)

I've had several customers with Rotax powered engines either call me or bring their aircraft to me recently who have had problems with their engines running "rough" and not developing full power after they haven't been flown for a while. The immediate fear is that something has gone seriously wrong in the ignition circuit. HOWEVER...... most of the time, the problem boils down to a simple clogged jet in one or both of your carburetors. If the aircraft has not been flown for a period of time, then condensation can form in either the fuel tank or carburetor bowls and when even amounts of water try to pass through the tiny orifices in the main or pilot jets, the engine will falter and run rough. THAT WILL REALLY GET YOUR ATTENTION ON TAKE OFF!!!
Most of the time, the fix is relatively simple.........
The first step is to remove the carb bowls and dump the contaminated fuel out. Now the floats are on a set of pins in the carb bowl, so make sure you remove the floats before emptying the contaminated fuel out.
The next step is to remove the main jet and blow it out to remove any debris. It is located in the middle of the carb and can be removed with an 8mm wrench.
There is a shim that is very thin that will also come off when the main jet is removed. Make sure you do not lose it! After the main jet has been removed, cleaned, and re-installed, then it is time to clean the pilot jet. This jet is located just forward of the main jet inside that is just about the same length as the tube for the main jet. You can't actually see the jet because it is screwed up inside this tube. It requires a small "common" screwdriver to remove it. This jet is longer than the main jet and has a hole through the center, but also a series of holes in the side of it. Insure all passages or holes in either one of these jets are clear. Also inspect the o ring around the pilot jet and make sure it is serviceable.
If the aircraft has been sitting for a long period of time, the carbs may need to be cleaned to remove the varnish caused by old fuel and rebuilt. I can offer you that service at any time, feel free to call me or e-mail me at seareyman53@aol.com

OLLIE'S TID BITS #2 !


The Rotax 912S is a great engine for most of the light experimental and LSA aircraft on the market today. Boasting an honest 100 H.P. it has a good power-to-weight ratio and a torque curve that makes it a perfect engine for light aircraft use. One of the ways that Rotax was able to increase the horsepower from 80 to 100 hp was to increase the compression ratio. The early "S" had problems on initial start up. The starter didn't have enough " oomph" to it to overcome the high compression engine, therefore it put undo stress and wear on the sprague clutch which acts as a one- way "clutch" and will "free wheel" after the engine starts. After several starts the sprague clutch would fail and after about $1500.00 in parts and labor later, the engine was good for another 200 or more so hours. Rotax came out with a "fix" for the problem by putting on a "high torque" starter. You can tell if you have this starter by looking at the color of it. The original starter had a black outer case and the high torque starter has a silver or gold outer case. This helped the problem some-what, but it still needed help. I think the key to solving the sprague clutch problem is supplying the starter with enough inertia to spin the engine over fast enough to overcome the high compression. This is done by using a high cranking amps battery and a large enough cable going from the battery to the starter. I recommend a minimum of a #4 cable and a battery that will supply a minimum of 400 CCA.


I hope this helps to solve some of the potential starting problems with the 912S. next time ,I'll address the slipper clutch in the 912S.


Ollie's TID BIT #3


I have had several questions recently about the differences between the generation A, B and C hulls on the Searey. I've flown all three hulls on them and even though all three are a manageable hull on landing , the C hull is far Superior to the A and B hulls. The A and B Hulls need to be "driven" onto the water using either power or extra speed which would be compared to a "step" landing on other seaplanes.


With the C hull, you can either do a step landing or a full "stall " landing. The C hull is much more versatile and forgiving in that respect. The other problem with the A hull or the B hull is if you touch down forward of the step, the airplane will not porpoise like most seaplanes will in that configuration, but it will actually get sucked under the water and immediately turn the airplane into a submarine. That will definitely ruin your whole day!!!!!


If you are in the market for a used Searey or a kit and you are not familiar with the generation hulls the kit came with, then here is how you can tell at a glance.....


The A Hull and B Hulls have a very shallow Vee in the hull. If you look at the step area from the side of the hull, the step runs perpendicular to the side of the hull. If you are looking at the front of the hull , the way to tell the difference between the A and the B hulls is.... on the A hull the strakes will contour the hull at it comes to a point to the bow. The B hull strakes do not contour toward the bow.


The C Hull has a much deeper vee and if you look at it from the side at the step area, it vee's back toward the transom of the hull.


If you buy an airplane with an A or B Hull, it can easily ( according to a mechanic) be retrofitted to a C Hull. Just make sure you negotiate the cost of the retrofit into your purchase price . Any questions, Call me!!!


Ollie's TID BITS # 4


Since 1993 the Searey has gone through an evolution that has made it probably the most versatile experimental amphibians on the market even today. One of the things that has made it such a great and versatile airplane is the strength of their landing gear system. This simple but very rugged system allows the pilot to taxi onto unimproved beaches found on the shorelines of lakes that pilots land on.


The Searey has four options offered for retraction systems. The manual retraction is the basic standard system offered with the standard kit. This is a simple system that uses a simple"johnson bar" lever between the seats to retract the gear. The down side of this system is when Searey owners elect to use the optional large main wheels i.e. 6:00x 6 size, the flotation the tires provide in the water make it very difficult to extend the gear in the water. The up side is that it is several pounds lighter than the other gear options.


There are 3 other options offered for the gear retractor system. They are the "A" version hydraulic, the "B" version hydraulic and the electric gear which is my personal favorite. The major difference between the A and the B hydraulic gear is the mechanical components used to operate the gear. The earlier or " A" style has more moving parts than the "B" style, therefore making it about 8 pounds heavier than the late "B" style. The only thing I do not like about the B style gear is that it is hot wired directly to the main power bypassing the master switch. The reason it was designed this way, was in the event the gear were to lose a small amount of hydraulic pressure, it would automatically energize the hydraulic activator and keep the gear in the overcenter position. The problem with doing it that way was it technically didn't comply with FAR.43 Appendix D. You must be able to disconnect all electrical power from the aircraft in the event of an in flight emergency, such as an electrical fire. This system has since been redesigned and now incorporates a mechanical lock like the one used on the "A" style gear. These locks weigh only a few ounces which still gives considerable weight savings over the "A" gear. The latest and the greatest design is the electric gear. The mechanical parts are basically the same as the "B" hydraulic gear. The big difference is the use of "ball screw" electric motors, instead of hydraulic actuators. The reason I like this system the best is because there are no hydraulic cylinders to leak down. It's a very reliable system. If you buy a used Searey or build one and decide to go with either the hydraulic or the electric gear, the only other necessary option would be to have the 40 amp external alternator. All three of these systems typically draw approximately 20 amperes when extending the gear in the water. The 10 ampere standard charging system on the Rotax engine doesn't have enough charging capacity to operate the gear more than a few times before it would discharge the battery.


TIB BITS # 5!!!


Take offs and landings! In this segment of Ollie's tid bits, I'd like to talk about the techniques used for take offs and landings in the Searey.


OLLIES' TID BIT # 5!!!


Let me start out by telling you about my credentials... I have a commercial instrument, multi- engine and Seaplane rating. I have 1600 hours with approximately 750 hours in tail wheel airplanes and 450 hours Seaplane time.


The tailwheel airplane's range from Cubs and Champs to about 15 hours in a twin Beech 18. With about 400 hours in the Searey, I feel I am qualified to give advice on the techniques on grass, concrete and water.


The Searey handles a little differently, then most tailwheel airplanes on the grass and pavement. Because of the high centerline of thrust, the tail comes up very quickly, when full throttle is applied, therefore reducing rudder authority at slow speed.


The way to overcome this problem, is to hold the stick full aft while slowly applying full power and using sufficient right rudder to overcome " P factor" . This will allow enough air flow along with prop blast over the tail surfaces to allow the control needed to keep the aircraft rolling straight down the runway. As the speed increases, to approx. 30 MPH, relax the back pressure on the stick allowing the tail to come up so you have enough rudder authority to eliminate the possibility of a ground loop on take off. At that point the aircraft will fly off the runway by itself.


Water take offs are performed in a slightly different way. As sufficient throttle and right rudder is applied, instead of applying full aft stick, it needs to be slightly aft of neutral. As the aircraft accelerates, push the stick slightly forward to get it on the step. Then neutralize the stick with slight back pressure, to keep the nose slightly up and let the aircraft accelerate until it fly's itself off the water. With 20 degrees of flaps ( depending on the load) the aircraft will fly with a 400 to 500 foot waterrun.


Please note: These are my techinques that I use in landing and taking off a Searey. I hope this advice is helpful. The best advice I can give to the new Searey builder is to contact the factory and schedule training with Kerry or Paige.


You can also call me and I can get you in contact with a CFI/ Searey owner to get you qualified training.


TID BIT #6


I'll never forget what a very experienced Aircraft Inspector, who ran a lake service center, once told me. He said"if a seaplane is operated from salt water, it's not a matter of IF it will corrode, it's WHEN it will corrode. It's just a matter of time.


I was reminded again of what he said about a year later when I found major corrosion on the horizontal stabilizer on an early Searey during a condition inspection I was doing on it. The aircraft needed a total rebuild of all of the tail surfaces. The owner had flown 450 hours the previous year and had operated exclusively from salt or brackish water. The owner of this aircraft and I became instant believers in the destructive force of salt water on aircraft structures.


The Searey, along with any other aircraft that is operated off of salt water or brackish water...even on an occasional basis, is susceptible to eventual structural failure due to damage from corrosion.


There are certain things that can be done to prolong the inevitable....such as washing the aircraft out after each flight where the aircraft has been exposed to salt or brackish water. That will help, but most aircraft have areas on them where it is impossible to clean with fresh water. Sooner or later those areas will incur structural damage from corrosion.


My advice to anyone who has a seaplane, buying one or thinking of building one is to stay away from salt or brackish water if at all possible. There's a lot of fresh water lakes to land on and experience the freedom and enjoyment of seaplane flying.
Scroll down to see a photo of the aluminum from a plane that was submerged in salt water.


TID BIT #7


If you refer to my tid bit # 2 ,I talked about the problems with the sprague clutch on the 912 S due to high compression. My recommendation at the time was to use a high amperage battery and sufficient size ( at least 4 AWG) cable to supply power to the starter. This still holds true. This is a big help, but not the total fix. However,there is possibly hope on the horizon....so to speak...


There's a new after market product available called the " soft start module" by Conair. This is a module that simply plugs into one of the two ignition boxes on your 912S. It's designed to electronically hold the ignition timing to 4 degrees BTDC for 2 seconds after it reaches 600 RP, then switch to the normal 28 degrees BTDC for anything above that RPM. It's kind of like putting an electronic " impulse coupling" on one magneto. This reduces kick back of the engine due to the timing being advanced too far , therefore reducing potential damage to the sprague clutch.


One thing I really like about this product is the simplicity of installation. The other thing is that if, for some unknown reason, the module were to fail, then you can still fly home on one magneto, losing maybe 200 RPM's.


If you decide to purchase the soft start module, you may have to make a minor modification to your ignition circuit. You have to be able to start the aircraft one mag for this system to work. If you have a mag switch, that has the start mode on the switch, you will probably have to change the switch to one that has a separate starter button, so you can select the start mag of your choice.


I'm excited about this product. I think it could possibly eliminate alot of expensive sprague clutch repairs. In my opinion, it is well worth the monetary investment!!!!


TID BIT # 8 !

912 /914 gearbox maintenance..... the 912/ 914 series Rotax engines are equipped with reduction gear boxes which performs 2 functions. The 1st is because of the light weight design of the engine, it is required to use RPM's to develop the horse power it needs for the power to weight ratio. Since the propeller needs to turn a maximum of 2800 RPM's to achieve effiency, a reduction gear box is required. Rotax has designed a gear box that is reliable and light weight but because of the design it is susceptible to routine maintenance. The gear box consists internally of a drive gear which is a press fit on the crank shaft, connected to a larger gear on the prop shaft. This gives the proper gear reduction to reduce the prop RPM's and tork needed to give the thrust efficiency needed to give the aircraft performance needed to fly. There are inherent problems with this design. The prop turns the opposite direction of the rotation of the engine. It has significant mass when it is rotating. It can cause wear on the gearbox if not shimmed properly. A quick way to tell if the gear box needs to be shimmed, is to listen to the engine on initial start up. It will tend to ( chatter) and in worst case scenarios, will not accept throttle inputs and will not come out of an idle. The problem only gets worse with time , and causes more wear on internal parts in the gearbox. This can get to be a very expensive repair. When these symptoms start showing up , I would advise bringing your aircraft to me for repair, it will save you alot of money down the road. Better safe than sorry!!!!!!!

TID BIT #9............FINALLY!

I've run across three Seareys with 914 turbo engines recently that have had starting problems. The engine will not start with the fuel pumps turned on. The only way to start it is to turn one fuel pump on for a few seconds, turn it off and then go thru the normal starting procedure, with both fuel pumps off. As soon as the engine starts, then the fuel pumps can be turned on and then the engine runs fine. After diagnosing the problem and determining that the engine is " flooding out", I determined that the root of the problem either had to be a fuel regulator or carburetor problem. After several tests, I determined that the "viton tip" on the carburetor needles was allowing the fuel to bypass when the float bowls were full and allowing the engine to flood out. A simple carb rebuild with new needles solved the problem.

It puzzles me to why this problem has suddenly evolved recently when I have never seen it happen before. One suspect might be the fact that since the oil companies have started using up to 10% alcohol in the mogas, that we typically use in our aircraft deteriorates the viton tip on the needles and the carburetors and allows the fuel to bypass and flood the engine.

This is the only related thing I can think of that may be causing the problem. I think the 914 is more susceptible to this problem because of the higher pressure that the fuel pumps produce allowing the fuel to push past a needle that has a marginal seating capacity.

TIB BIT #10!!!!



The F.A.A requires a "condition inspection" on all experimental aircraft, once a calendar year. This inspection MUST be performed by either a licensed airframe and powerplant mechanic, a mechanic with an inspection authorization certificate or by the builder of the aircraft with a repairman certificate. This allows this person who built the plane to perform a condition inspection on the particular aircraft built by that individual.

The inspection criteria on an experimental aircraft is performed using guidelines set forth by appendix D of FAR 43 in the F.A.A regulations. All A& P's are required by the F.A.A this section of the F.A.R.'s.

When I perform a condition inspection on an experimental aircraft, it includes a through inspection of the airframe and engine, but it also includes keeping up the certifications of things such as transponders, ELT's, compass and deviation card.

I have attached a list of "paperwork" and non-mechanical requirements that the F.A.A. requires be complied with to complete a condition inspection.

These are items that I require to be with the airplane when you bring it to me before I can start a condition inspection. Some of the items on this list may not be required if the airplane is not flown in IFR conditions.

I am a firm believer in the idea that obviously the aircraft has to be mechanically sound but we all know that the proper paperwork and placards are a very important part of a proper condition inspection.

Tid Bit # 11 Finally!!!!
I have received several phone calls over the past few months inquiring about whether the Searey is legal to operate in the sport pilot category.
I've attached the link for http://www.sportpilot.org/ which explains what are likely candidates for light sport aircraft and also defines what is considered a light sport aircraft. Here are a few pages quoted from sportpilot:

"What is a Light-Sport Aircraft?
The FAA has defined light-sport aircraft as simple-to-operate, easy-to-fly aircraft that, since initial certification, has continued to meet the following performance definition:
In addition to fixed-wing airplanes, the definition of a light-sport aircraft also includes powered parachutes, weight-shift control aircraft (i.e., Trikes), balloons, airships, gliders and gyroplanes. For more information on the definition of a light-sport aircraft, click
here.
Any aircraft that meets the definition of a light-sport aircraft as called out in FAR Part 1.1 is eligible to be operated by a sport pilot. These aircraft can be certificated in any category, such as standard, experimental amateur-built, experimental exhibition, experimental light-sport aircraft (E-LSA), or special light-sport aircraft (S-LSA)."
"Sport pilots may fly aircraft certificated in many of the experimental aircraft categories, including experimental light-sport aircraft, experimental amateur-built, and experimental exhibition.Experimental light-sport aircraft Experimental light-sport aircraft (E-LSA) may be flown by sport pilots. E-LSA kits that do not conform to amateur-built certification requirements and will be certificated in the E-LSA category must be based on an aircraft that has received a special LSA (S-LSA) airworthiness certificate. E-LSA must be operated in accordance with the operating limitations issued to the aircraft at the time it receives its airworthiness certification. It must be maintained in accordance with regulations as they apply to E-LSA. Its annual condition inspection may be conducted by an LSA repairman with an inspection rating, an LSA repairman with a maintenance rating, an airframe and powerplant (A&P) mechanic, or a certified repair station.Experimental amateur-built aircraft that meet the definition of an LSA may be flown by sport pilots. The aircraft is certificated as experimental amateur-built and must be operated in accordance with the operating limitations issued to the aircraft at the time it receives its airworthiness certification. It must be maintained and inspected in accordance with regulations as they pertain to amateur-built aircraft. Its annual condition inspection may be performed by the original primary builder if he/she holds the repairman certificate for the aircraft, an A&P mechanic, or a certified repair station.This lists also includes many ultralights, including weight-shift controlled aircraft (trikes) and powered parachutes, that are eligible to transition to experimental light-sport aircraft status. That transition must be completed no later than January 31, 2008.
NOTE: The following list includes aircraft for which plans or a kit are currently available. Many older designs also qualify as LSA and may be available as in process projects or finished and flying."
Please log onto http://www.sportpilot.og/ for more vital and interesting information.

As you can see from the information above, the Searey meets all of the criteria the F.A.A requires to be classified as an ELSA. It is also on the approved list to be able to be flown under the sport pilot rules.

TID BIT # 12...................... Yah Hoo!! Been waiting awhile?????? Sorry, I've been SO busy with airplane stuff!

I've been asked recently by numerous potential Searey buyers if the Searey can be up-graded to the new LSX.The answer is ABSOLUTELY YES! The biggest improvements on the LSX are the wing and tail which increases the gross weight and improves the flight characteristics. The rest of the improvements are internal in the fuselage and are more "creature comfort" improvements and can also be upgraded.
So, if I can find you an older Searey that needs recover or work, then this might be a perfect opportunity for you to have me upgrade it for you!!! Parts for the LSX should be available within 6 months. Call and we'll discuss it!


TID BIT #13

The 914 engine is equipped with a turbo charger which increases the horsepower from 80 to 115 at full power for takeoff. It is recommended from the factory that full power is used for a maximum of 5 minutes to be able to increase the longevity of the engine and make it to the recommended 1200 hr TBO.
Any engine with the turbo charger has the potential of being "over boosted". This means that you are pumping too much air into the cylinder and pressurizing it to the point where it will cause damage to the engine.
The 914 has a really nice feature which is supposed to eliminate this problem. It is a computer controlled device called a TCU or Turbo Control Unit. It uses a series of sensors that it monitors on different parts of the engine and controls the "wastegate on the turbo". Whenever the boost is about ready to exceed 39.5 inches of manifold pressure it automatically opens the wastegate and dumps the excess pressure to maintain a maximum of 395 inches of manifold pressure.
There are some mechanical factors that will prohibit the TCU from doing it's job. Carbon buildup around the wastegate and wastegate shaft can cause it to stick closed. This can cause an overboost condition and damage the engine. Alot of pilots tend to not monitor the manifold pressure guage when the engine is at full power because they are relying too much on the TCU to control the boost of the engine. In reality, the pilot must be very aware of what the manifold pressure gauge is telling him/her at all times.
MONITOR the manifold pressure and you'll make it very easily to the recommended1200 hr. TBO and probably more.
Regular maintenance on the engine will also ensure these mechanical problems do not arise.

TID BIT #14

I'd like to talk about " hydraulic locks " in the 912/914 series engines.. Because of the design of the Searey, it is more susceptible to having a hydraulic lock if you don't fly more than once a week or so. Being a tail dragger and the fact that the oil tank is upstream or higher than the engine, the oil seeps down into the crankcase and past the piston rings.
When you try to start the engine after not flying it for a week or so , the oil in the cylinder( which will not compress) will form a hydraulic lock. It will start to turn when you engage the starter but will stop turning over when it comes up on the compression stroke. This can bend pushrods and cause all kinds of problems.
For unknown reasons the 912S is notorious for this problem. With this engine sometimes it is necessary to remove the bottom plugs and "motor" the engine thru to blow the oil out of the cylinders. For the most part, all that is necessary is to remove the cap from the oil tank and pull the prop thru by hand approximately 20 blades until you hear a "gurgling" noise coming out of the oil tank. Keep pulling the prop through until you've heard the gurgling noise at least 4 times. That will give you the indication that the oil in the crank case and cylinders has been pumped back into the oil tank and the engine is ready to be started without damage to it.

Tid Bit #15
I'd like to talk about the importance of pre flight and post flight inspections on the Searey. As pilots, we know that pre and post flight inspections are very important. The Searey s unique though because it relies on the landing gear to land on terra firm but also relies on the hull for landing on water. It is very important to not only check all of the other areas that a pilot would normally check on any other aircraft, but to pay special attention to the hull and landing gear.
The Searey has probably the strongest, simplest and most straight forward landing gear systems of any experimental amphibian on the market today. I've seen Searey's taxi up some really rough beaches and not hurt the gear. I've also seen them survive some really hard landings and land coming away unscathed. That doesn't mean however, that the aircraft cannot be damaged.
If you make a hard landing, or taxi up a really rough ramp or beach, a through inspection of the main bulkhead is needed. The main bulkhead is the heart of the landing gear and main wing strut attach point. If you make a hard landing then a very through post flight inspection of this area is required.
Look at the downtubes of the main bulkhead very carefully and check for bending or cracks, especially at all the attach points. The aircraft has four downtubes. Two on each side and support the pivot points for the left and right main landing gear. They also tie into the cross tube, where the lower wing strut attach point is located. If these down tubes are damaged severally enough, then it could affect the structural integrity of the strut attach point. Normally, if the damage is severe enough to cause this condition, it results in a gear collapse which would be a definite reminder to check this area and perform the necessary repairs.
My concern would be if several hard landings were made and the damage were to be progressive.
So my advice to all new and even long time Searey owners, is to preform a very good pre-flight and post flight inspection. It is also a "must" that a through post flight inspection be done after a hard landing or taxiing up extremely rough beaches or ramps.

TID BIT # 16

What is considered a "major change" on an experimental aircraft?
I just finished doing an extensive upgrade on my Searey 77OK that included an upgraded hull, upgraded engine, new prop and several LSX upgrades that brought it up to the specs of a new Searey classic.
You may think that since it is now the same configuration as one of the latest versions of the "classic" that is tried and proven, that it would be a simple log book entry and then go about your merry way and fly...It is not that simple!
If you have the old version of the operating limitations ( that by the way need to be in your plane at all times with the rest of the required paperwork) then under FAA guide lines you have to notify them in writing, wait for a response and they will instruct you on how to handle re-inspecting the aircraft.

On the other hand if you have the "new" version of the operating limitations then it is just a matter of notifing them of the changes you made. As long as you have followed their guidelines then you can put yourself back into "Phase 1" for 5 hours. After the flight test, then all it takes is a log book entry and you can carry passengers again.
So...what does constitute a major change? The FAA is a little vague about it but basically if it changes the weight, CG or performance of the aircraft, it is considered a major change.
When I changed the things that I did to my aircraft, I documented everything and weighed the aircraft. Since I had the old operating limitations, I had the aircraft re-inspected by a DAR and I was put back in Phase 1 for 5 hours.
Now that all that is done, I'm back to enjoying my new improved Searey!



We're all passionate Seaplane lovers and a part of one wonderful family of experimental airplane lovers! It's a great family to belong to!! Buy a Searey and join the family!!


The Following is "Stuff" in my Hanger for sale....................as, my wife says, "there's always too much stuff, let's sell it"!





SEAREY CURRENTLY FOR SALE:






SCROLL DOWN FOR PHOTOS OF AIRPLANES FOR SALE IN MY HANGER. I CURRENTLY HAVE SEVERAL PLANES AVAILABLE IN MY HANGER WITH MORE COMING IN WEEKLY LATELY!


ALL THE AIRPLANES WITH PHOTO'S BELOW ARE FOR SALE! ( Go to the top of this blog and hit the Searey's for Sale page for Specs)




( NOT THE MAULE THOUGH, I JUST THINK IT IS AN AWESOME PLANE AND HAD TO SHARE THE PHOTO!, MY FRIEND CAME BY TO PICK ME UP IN IT ONE DAY AND MY WIFE JUST HAD TO TAKE A PICTURE!)




CALL ME FOR DETAILS ON THE ONE'S FOR SALE! Whatever your budget is...we'll have it or find it for you!


Call me for more info on the planes I have for sale! See the page on the top of this blog for Specs.

See photo's below:



I also have floats available and a gas tank taken from a Searey . VERY Reasonable price! Call for details.

6 comments:

Al Resnick said...

Ollie, What is the proper compression for an 80 hp Rotax 912?

Oliver (Ollie) and Esther (Essie) Kennedy said...

Al, the compression on an aircraft engine is done differentially. 80 PSI of air is pumped into the cylinder at tdc.(top dead center)on the compression stroke. The differential is the air leakage past the rings or the valves.Usually we look for on a Rotax engine 75/80 or higher and a maximun of a 10% leakdown difference between cylinders. In other words if a #1 cylinder reads 79/80 then #2,3 or 4 cannot be less than 71/80. At that point we look at what part of the engine is leaking(rings or valves).I hope this answers your question, feel free to write back anytime.

KHZahorsky said...

I have a 1975 Searey. Would it be possible to bring an older Searey up to LSA standard by exchanging the parts required and get it certified as an LSA?

Unknown said...

What should one expect to pay for a used, flight-ready Sea Rey?

flyboy said...

regards upgrades to older models to the LSX, I thought Searey would only sell complete kits so how is this possble.

Great Blog!!

Hope to by from you IN MID 2012.

flyboy said...

RE THE FOLLOWING!!!

"I've been asked recently by numerous potential Searey buyers if the Searey can be up-graded to the new LSX.The answer is ABSOLUTLY YES!"

I thought it was only possible to buy an entire kit from Searey so how is it possible to do just these upgrades??

Great Blog BTW. I haope to buy from you in mid 2012.